ADVANCED THERMALLING COURSES
REAL TALENT IN BIG SKIES
Our Advanced Thermalling Course covers tips and training for achieving extended cross-country flights.
The training includes meteorology from the micro- to the macro level; and developing personal, accurate weather forecasting.
From effective ground-handling, correct vario/GPS- and radio use, to flight planning and outdoor survival, this course will improve your launch technique and increase your confidence through reinforced competence.
Starting usually with a two-day Level One First Aid Course, this two-week programme is an invaluable link in any pilot’s flying career.
Plus hundreds of helpful tips on:
- Soaring, staying up and top-landing
- Coastal flying and sea breezes
- How to core thermals and get to cloudbase
- Valley winds, mountain flying and magic air
- Flying the flatlands
- XC tactics from first flights to 100km
Thermal Flying Includes comprehensive instructions on:
- How to predict and find thermals
- How and where thermals form – sources and triggers
- Different types of thermal models
- Windward and lee-side thermals
- The theory of temperature gradients
- Vortex ring structure and lift distribution in thermals
- How to read clouds and weather